Top 10 books you NEED to read this year!

Over these past few months of isolation at home, I've been catching up on lots of reading. I've re-read many of my favorite books, and discovered a few new ones. If you're in need of some fabulous book recommendations that all ages will enjoy, stick around! Here's a list of my favorite books from all genres that you need to read this year.

1. Realistic Fiction- Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Counting By 7s - By Holly Goldberg Sloan

This was my #1 favorite book toward the end of elementary school. I read it, re-read it, and re-read it again. It's a moving book about Willow, a girl who's just trying to find herself as she grows up. One of the strongest parts of this book is that it shows why being smart is just so cool. The main character is brilliant, and by the end of the book you'll want to be just like her.

2. Historical Fiction- Codename Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I'll can honestly say that there are very few historical fiction books I've enjoyed reading. Codename Verity is a book I started at the beginning of this year, and it'd been sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust until Covid-19 hit. In the midst of my self-isolation, I picked it up and tried to finish it. Frankly, it got very exciting very quick. I wouldn't recommend this book to younger audiences, as although the main character ("Verity") is absolutely hilarious, she has a bit of a foul tongue. This book was oddly very, very funny. The witty characters made this book, for the most part, an upbeat exciting read. It gave humor to some situations that were not at all humorous, yet in a very serious way. At the beginning you'll be laughing, but by the end I suspect you'll be weeping.

3. Science Fiction- Legend by Marie Lu

As is very apparent, my copy of Legend has been well-loved. In my 15 years of life, I've read my share of science fiction books. I love many of Marie Lu's books, but Legend is my favorite. It's exciting, mind-boggling, and you can't put it down. You'll fall in love with the characters quick, and by the end of the book you'll be grabbing for the next. Fortunately, it's a trilogy:

I thought the first book was the best, but the rest of the trilogy definitely lives up to your expectations.

4. Biography- I Will Always Write Back by Liz Welch, Martin Ganda and Caitlin Aliferenka

I do not read biographies ever. This book was a rare exception in sixth grade. My sixth grade english teacher gave me this book and I have read it numerous times. Of all the books on this list, THIS is the one you should read. I Will Always Write Back is my favorite book of all time, and I don't say that lightly. This book changed the way I look at my life in so many ways, and it's made me aware of so many issues I never thought about before. The true story is so crazy it's unbelievable! This book is a great read for all ages! I've recommended it to my friends, my friends' parents, my teachers, my sisters, and even my grandparents. Long story short, YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK.

5. Classics- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is one of the books I read about a month ago for my english course. For some reason, I'd never read it before but I thoroughly enjoyed it! If you haven't yet read this book, I implore you to do it now! It's exciting, moving and so sad. With the current global headlines, I think this book is a fantastic perspective on our American culture's strengths and weaknesses. As the story continued to progress, I suddenly found myself on the last page and I'm still not quite sure how I read it so quickly.

6. Books for Kids- Spy X by Peter Lerangis

This one of the books that made me excited about reading throughout elementary school. Age-wise, I'd recommend this book to 3rd-6th graders. Peter Lerangis is a fantastic writer, and the detail put into this book is ridiculous. I spent months after reading this learning about all sorts of secret codes and methods of communication. I spent hours reading it out loud to my little sisters before they could even read, just so they could be as excited about the mystery as I was. To this day, I still believe this is one of the best crafted mystery/spy books ever. The codes are brilliant, and the plot carries itself like a puzzle, everything fitting into place eventually.


This turned out to be a series of four books, each book better than the former. The final book wraps up on a bit of a cliff-hanger with much to be desired, but still to be imagined as a kid. Sadly, these books are out of print, but you can find them used pretty easily from third-party sellers on Amazon and other platforms. If you know an elementary schooler, I urge you to find copies of these books for them. I'm in high school and I still have all of mine.

7. Mystery- Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson


This YA mystery novel ties with my #1 pick (I will always write back) because it is SO SUSPENSEFUL. I cannot begin to explain the ridiculously suspenseful suspense. If you haven't already read this book, get a friend on board and read the entire trilogy. If you like to try and solve mysteries, you'll want some sticky-notes to fill this book with. I just finished the final installment, and the ending is AMAZING. This is one of the best ya mystery novels I've read, and I encourage you to read it too!

8. Poetry- Band Nerds by DJ Corchin


This is another book genre that I rarely read. Reading poetry books is an uncommon activity for me, but this is one of the poetry books I've enjoyed the most in my lifetime. As a musician, the poems really resonate with my sense of humor and they're extremely relatable. As a trombone player myself, I found myself folded over with fits of giggles the first time I read it. If you're a musician and ever been a part of a band, I seriously recommend that you read it.

9.  Fantasy- The False Prince by Jennifer A. Neilsen

The False Prince (The Ascendance Series, Book 1) by [Jennifer A. Nielsen]

This is a wonderful, brilliantly written novel full of riveting twists and turns. The characters are so lovable and their chemistry is awesome! I love the way Jennifer A. Nielsen writes the subtle romances in her books. They don't take away from the exciting plot, but add another layer of depth to the story. Once you get to the end of the trilogy, you'll be so sad it's over. 
Despite this, I just discovered that Jennifer A. Nielsen will be releasing a fourth book to the Ascendance trilogy fall of 2020, and I am very excited!

10. Thriller- The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson


The Name of the Star is one of my most recent reads, and I must say- I LOVED IT. It takes place in London, and follows Rory as she starts boarding school surrounded by some odd events. It was full of twists and turns and I couldn't put it down! Maureen Johnson strikes again with another incredible read.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed this rather unusual blog post (I mean, I think It's my fifth one?) and I encourage you to check out these books if you're looking for something to read. If you're interested in what else I'm reading, you can find me on goodreads. If you have any questions or want more recommendations, let me know in the comments! Have a wonderful day!

- Emily


PIN ME!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your book recommendations! I have five kids ages 15-6 and we were needing some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment